Why You Should Consider Dental Implants
posted: May 05, 2021.
There are many reasons to consider dental implants when you need to replace missing teeth. Dental implants are extremely versatile and can help replace a single tooth or multiple teeth. They are also the most long-lasting tooth replacement method available today. Dr. Robert West and Dr. Denise VeyVoda, the highly skilled dentists at The Oyster Bay Family Dentists in Oyster Bay, NY, offer implant dentistry and can restore your smile with dental implants.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are small titanium posts that look similar to a screw. They are inserted into the jawbone and replace the roots of missing or extracted teeth. The primary function of dental implants is to securely anchor artificial teeth in place, including dental crowns, bridgework, and implant-supported dentures.
One of the reasons dental implants are such a secure tooth replacement method is the fact that they are inserted directly into the jawbone. After dental implants are placed, they begin fusing with the bone tissue. This process takes a few months and is called osseointegration. Once the process is complete, the implants and bone will be permanently fused together.
Since dental implants are inserted into the jawbone, it is necessary to have sufficient bone tissue. The body naturally reabsorbs bone tissue that is not supporting any teeth so bone loss often accompanies tooth loss. Unfortunately, that means not all patients who have missing or extracted teeth will be candidates for dental implants. The dentists at our office in Oyster Bay, NY, are experienced in implant dentistry and can determine if dental implants are an option for you.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Some of the biggest reasons to consider dental implants are all the benefits they offer. They are durable, secure, long-lasting, and versatile. Their extensive benefits include:
- Smile Restoration Dental implants fill in the gaps where teeth are missing or have been extracted.
- Reduced Side Effects By filling in the gaps where teeth are missing, dental implants minimize the side effects of tooth loss, such as shifting teeth or facial sagging.
- Improved Functioning Dental implants restore regular biting and chewing functions by replacing missing teeth.
- Preservation of Bone Dental implants preserve bone tissue by preventing the body from reabsorbing it following tooth loss.
- Reduced Strain By restoring your smile, dental implants reduce excess strain or wear and tear on teeth that were previously compensating for the missing ones.
- Versatility Dental implants can be used in conjunction with crowns, bridgework, or dentures to replace a single tooth or several teeth.
You should consider dental implants if you are interested in the most secure and long-lasting tooth replacement option available. Schedule an appointment with Dr. West or Dr. VeyVoda to learn more about how you could benefit from implant dentistry by calling The Oyster Bay Family Dentists in Oyster Bay, NY, at (516) 922-5730.